A little bit of sugar never did anyone harm. For a lot of us dessert is our favorite comfort food. These dark, rich fudge brownies are one of our all-time favorites.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 6 ounces coarsely chopped good-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside.
- Put butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until butter and chocolate are melted. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl; set aside.
- Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; beat, scraping down sides of bowl, until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out brownies; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.