Christmas and Cakes go hand in hand, this Spiced Canberry coffee cake would add sweetness to your Christmas celebration.
- ¾ c. unsalted butter
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ c. lowfat buttermilk
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 2 c. Spiced Cranberries or store-bought cranberry sauce
- 1 c. roughly chopped walnuts
- 1¼ c. confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tbsp. milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with butter and lightly dust with flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, then the buttermilk and orange zest. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Spread half the batter into the prepared baking dish. Dollop 1 cup cranberry sauce over the top, then gently spread, swirling it into the batter. Top with the remaining batter, then dollop with the remaining cranberry sauce.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the top and bake until the cake is golden brown and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cake cools, make the icing: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the warm cake, then let cool completely before serving.
Serve guests a piece of seasonal coffee cake and a steaming hot cup of coffee on Christmas morning