Sheermal, as its name suggests (‘sheer’ meaning milk and ‘mal or maal’ meaning loosely connoting “rich food”) is one of the several rare Lucknow and Hyderabadi delicacies and very famous during#Ramazan. #IftarSweetTreats
Servings : 6
- 3 cups maida (refined flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp milk extra
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup ghee
- Salt to taste
- Few saffron strands
- Soak saffron strands in 2 tbsp hot milk for 1/2 an hour, then mix well to dissolve the saffron.
- Mix together flour, salt and sugar and add melted ghee.
- Rub in the ghee then adding a little milk at a time, knead into a soft smooth dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 2 hours. Knead, and keep again for 2 hours.
- Roll dough into 6″ rounds about 14″ thick and prick all over.
- Cook on a tawa/griddle, first over high heat then low, to cook through, till brown on both sides.
- Smear with the milk solution, cook a little more, then serve hot brushed with ghee.